Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Country Hams

Quick update.  We successfully cured our hams!
It was an easy process and the results were well worth the minimal effort.  Post on the process here.
We were very excited to cut into one-


Country hams (salt cured) are different from your regular hams at the store.  Also, ours were not smoked.  I would say country hams are more similar to prosciutto than they are to honey baked hams.  They are saltier and you eat small slices at a time.


Back home we usually would eat them for breakfast on a biscuit.  Jonathan would want to add some Red Eye Gravy  but I am not a fan.
My biscuit are square (but very hip) because I roll the dough into a rectangle and cut them with a pizza cutter.  This saves time and I don't have to re-roll my scraps (which can make the dough over worked and dry sometimes).

The meat can be eaten raw if you like but we prefer it cooked.  My great granddaddy would go into the smoke house and cut off raw pieces to eat on the way to the farm yard.  An energy snack I guess.  Another use I have found for the ham is diced in soup (that particular recipe had called for pancetta)

The hams can also be stored outside the frig at this point but we just leave them in because its the best place for them in our house.

Think that is it for now.

Oh yeah, garden season has started.  Planted Mesclun Greens/Lettuce and Bordeaux Spinach.  Let the fun begin-





No comments:

Post a Comment