Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tadpoles Arrived

The majority of my childhood was spent outdoors.  Not only because I liked being outside but my mom would send us all outside to play to get out of the house.   Having a large yard is my favorite asset as a stay at home mom.
We have been anticipating spring and tadpole 'season'.  Little man and I decided to go hunting for some yesterday.  We had heard the frogs singing their mating songs a few months back (concluded this due to the time of year, not because I speak frog) .  At first we scoped out the ornamental pond behind our porch (that is in process of being cleaned up).


Initially we became quite excited with finding little swimmers squirming about the pond.

After further investigation I realized it was mosquito larvae (gross, but not surprised.... add item #156 to the to do list,  treat ornamental pond).

We headed to the 'wetlands' at the back of our property and found all sorts of things to investigate on the way.

Anyone know what kind of caterpillar/larvae this is?  I suspect some type of moth with those spines (a complete guess as I know nothing about this type of thing).


We were pleasantly surprised to find an abundant amount of tadpoles in the pond!

Very interested.


I easily caught one and brought it back to the house.  I think it's name should be Tad.... or Polly.

I love this stuff.  Soon it's little legs will be popping out.

After looking into how to keep a tadpole to its final stage (frog-hood, I made that term up), I decided I didn't want to deal with it right now (though its not extremely involved, so call me lazy).  I told little man we would just come back to the pond and check on them regularly, which he was fine with.  So I released our little pet.  Hoping our local mallards don't exterminate them all.

Pig update!!  I talked to the farmer and our piglets are NOT EVEN BORN. :(  This means we probably will not even get them until July (since they nurse on their mommies till about 8 weeks old).  In some ways this is a burden off our shoulders since we don't have the new water line to the pasture dug yet.... and Jonathan is still working on the custom gravity feeder.


There is plenty to do in the meantime.... I think I need to get these kids some ear protection.






No comments:

Post a Comment