Wednesday, April 6, 2016

What Does April SNOW Showers Bring?

I assume April snow showers bring flowers as much as rain.... since it is essentially rain that waters the soil.  I keep telling myself that the thawing and refreezing of the ground is probably good for our soil; all the freezing/expanding then melting of organic matter.  It is my optimistic way of looking at things.

Truth is, spring in New England is always a little trying on me.  It is a muddy, cold season.... but with hope.  There is a short period in May it is lovely, then comes full on summer.  But with summers at beautiful beaches and a nice fall we make up before winter comes again.

Sunday was officially 6 weeks until our average last frost (according to the Rhode Island Master Gardeners, May 15 is the date).  I was supposed to be transplanting my onion seedlings this week.

Since we got about 5" of snow, I think it is best to wait.  Cold and frost don't hurt more mature onions growing, but it could cause rot to the young ones when when they thaw out (so I read).

Here are our garlics we planted last fall.  The plan is to grow all bulb and root vegetables (except potatoes) in raised beds after this year.  Our soil is compact, and cool muddy springs have not been good to our bulby friends.


The chives don't seem to mind though.  Love me some chives.  Low maintenance, great with eggs, come back every year and beautiful purple, edible flowers.  I promise those are chives and not grass.  If they are we have been eating grass on our eggs.


Holy basil in sprouting, yearning for some sunshine it seems.


It will soon be joined with some cucumbers, more basil varieties and flowers.
I am actually growing flowers this year because I made more money (at our roadside stand) last year on flowers than I did my heirloom vegetables.  Doesn't make a ton of sense but I guess you need to learn your market.

Birds are scavenging for food on Little Lady's homemade bird feeder.


Since my spring snow pics are not very exciting, closing with some more lovely ones from a New England photographer I really like @ - http://www.anewenglandlife.com






No comments:

Post a Comment