Friday, March 27, 2015

Dining Room Blinds Version 4.OhMyHead

One kid ago I set out to make dining room curtains.  I was motivated to make them myself instead of buy them because:
  • I could choose whatever fabric I wanted
  • I could choose the style curtain/blind I wanted
  • I thought it might save some money (fabric coupons go a long way)
  • I don't remember the other thoughts because when I started it was awhile ago
Initial post beginning this ridiculous and unnecessary curtain journey:  Ladies and Gentlemen A Curtain


Here are the curtain versions if interested in:

1.0
Lesson learned- this tie up curtain was cute but wanted something I could raise and lower in seconds.  It was lowered every evening to keep sun out of eyes while at the dinner table.  Plus the fabric needed some help not looking bunched and messy when quickly tied up (probably my somewhat heavy fabric choice to blame).  Would maybe be better in a room where it did not need to be raised and lowered so much.  I also decided I wanted cleaner looking lines.


2.0
Lesson learned- you can't just put loops and strings on the back of any fabric square and it will look good when raised and lowered.  This design when raised would just bunch up into a mess at the top.  I had to create the folds by hand to make it look somewhat normal when in the raised position.  Again, not what I wanted in a curtain I was raising and lowering daily.


3.0
Don't have a picture because it was ugly.

4.0
The current shade (roman shade).  Still not perfect when quickly raised.  Fabric still will  fold backwards when raised (instead of forward creating the nice over lap folds in the front).  I am happy enough.... for now.  


Just for reference this is what the back looks like.  Tube tape, dowels to keep things from bunching and string threaded through.  If it worked great I would share more tips, but I am still in need of some tips myself.  Like I said, for now it is good enough.

Overall lessons learned- lots learned.... so I consider the overall process a gain for the brain, but was not the way I preferred to spend my 'free' time.

Saturday progress on the basement, ceiling is up.  Thankful for friends help.

This weekend hubby and I plan to put up some walls.  Don't worry, not figuratively speaking.

More details in another post on the over all construction/progress of this basement that used to flood every rain storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment