Friday, March 1, 2013

March 1st!!!!!!

Its March, so that means spring is coming!!  It also kicks off the first month of GARDENING SEASON!!! (that deserved three exclamations)  I am no gardening expert but I really love trying.... and I really, really love NOT going to the grocery store.


Enough mushy talk.... here's the current state of my garden.  Yes I see there is still snow on it... BUT there are cold weather plants that can be planted in the garden THIS MONTH.  Such as sugar snap peas, Fava beans and possibly carrots.  Problem will be waiting for the soil to fully thaw and dry out, allowing us to work it (Do NOT work wet soil,  it will be hard for the rest of the season until it freezes again)-


Though its likely we will get more snow this month, I am happy grass is visible again.  So are the chickens.  Their eggs are more bland tasting when all they are eating is chicken feed.  So again glad there's some grass visible for them to eat.

The past few months have had some really cold days.... maxing out in the teens.  Here is one day in January when I was breaking the ice up in their waterer.  The water was freezing on Rooster's neck feathers before it could drip to the ground.  Brrrr...


With slightly warmer weather I haven't had to suit up the kids with boots and hats the past few days.  We went exploring the back of our property and saw the big snow storm tore up this pine tree.



Then little man wanted to check the pond to see if any frogs had 'hatched' yet (know this happens when its warmer).


It will be fun in the spring to keep checking back for frog life.


Our yard is a good place for exploring-


I am not posting about the curtains today because ONE, I took a break from thinking about them this week (I was getting too worked up about it, I actually lost sleep one night, don't laugh) and TWO, I am looking into new options.
I am typing this last paragraph with a kid on my lap soooooo guess thats my cue that mommy computer time is over. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment