Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New Window In !!

Every time I walk in my living room I sing about the window, Isn't She Lovely.  (Side note: I did not know Stevie Wonder wrote this song to celebrate the birth of his daughter.  How sweet!)
So lets quickly recap the long journey (seemed long to me anyway) of this installation-
Old window, drafty and sagging-


New window arrived Jan, 11th and hung out with us in the dining room for close to a month-

Thankfully the windows are only the 'eyes of the house' (so they say) and not the ears because we talked mean about both windows most of the time.

New window installation began Monday.  Thankfully we were able to get out of the house during the morning.  Not kid friendly or winter cold/house warm friendly work (it was snowy).  I snapped some pictures before we left-




They noted that quite a few animals had lived in the window.  I had seen remnants of a hornets nest when we removed the trim.  I didn't get a picture of the full nest before they trashed it.  It covered half the area sandwiched inside the windows base.

We were not surprised to hear the OLD window was NOT installed properly (same old news with each repair we get into).  The carpenter seemed to be slightly annoyed at all the small construction details he had to make up for, trying to get everything square.  He was nice though and from what we can tell has done a nice job.

New window installation mostly complete as of today!  They are supposed to come back and tighten the cables a bit and insulate a little more.  We are going to paint it ourselves-

You see that big roll of pink fiber glass insulation.  Little man used it as a drum, did I mention FIBER GLASS.  Fun times as always.

Before from the outside-

And after (still needs some trim work around the siding, they are going to do this)-

Sing with me, Isn't She Lovely.... :)

Jonathan will have to add some drywall to the sides before he frames the window.  The gaps are wider than our trim.  The top and bottom gaps are small enough to hide under the trim thankfully.


Window already being put to use as a race track-

Hopefully I will have my living room back in order soon, they don't seem to mind.... and I don't mind since this room will stay much warmer now... and look nicer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment