Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Back to the Dining Room, Help?

My focus has shifted back to the dining room, trying to FULLY complete it (making it the first room in the house to be complete!).

But, I NEED HELP.  I have been combing through resources and pictures and fabric..... and would like further opinion on our dining room curtains.  I have received some super helpful advice and resources from friends (I have appreciated Domino, The Book of Decorating on loan from my friend Esther).

One piece of info that Esther passed along from the Domino book was that since dinning rooms have alot of 'hard' furniture, adding fabric is a good idea to soften the room and add diverse texture.  And regarding advice on hanging curtains, Domino says to hang rods 4" above the window frame and 6"-8" past the frame on each side, making the window look larger.

I initially was leaning towards relaxed Roman Blinds, something like this that I could easily make myself and are kid friendly and quite minimal-
But after visualizing it in our dinning room it didn't quite work. :(  The room still looked barren with too much exposed hard surfaces (needs more fabric to soften it and I am not keen on a rug since cleanup after kids is easier with the wood floors).
So here's where I need help, and I am encouraging input and opinions.  I need help deciding which style curtains and fabric.  Below you will see the three options I am currently leaning towards.
We like farmhouse/cottage/french country style.  So I am learning towards a light fabric with visible weave, like linen or burlap (yes, burlap... like the sack you did races in as a kid) something that looks natural/organic.  Like these-
Burlap with fray (cheap and easy)-

Another burlap curtain (made in 5 minutes from burlap purchased at Joanns)
Photo compliments of : http://theoldpaintedcottage.com/

Linen, looks similar but a bit softer.

Quick pros and cons of each (from my elementary knowledge, please share your knowledge)
  • Burlap pros- cheap, durable, good thermal properties
  • Burlap cons- shrinks when washed (and I need the ability to wash, will it continually shrink or just the first time?)
  • Linen pros- durable, light, loveliness!, lays beautifully
  • Linen cons- possibly dry clean only (depending on what type of linen I get), not as easy to sew, more expensive


Now for the messy attempt to visualize these in my dinning room.  You might need to squint your eyes :) 
With just panels-

With panels and a shade underneath, more formal looking-

With only one panel gathered to the side, more country looking-

Also, in regards to color.... just as seen in the pictures above we like white and clean.  So, probably going to stick with a fairly neutral or pastel fabric color.

So I have set up a poll to VOTE (easiest way to gather opinions).  It is at the top right of the blog just under the barn picture and welcome text.  PLEASE VOTE and/or share your thoughts and opinions (comments welcome).
I think this has been harder than picking out paint colors, sheesh....




1 comment:

  1. If you go with panels, we bought some at Lowe's a few years ago which I really like...they have a linen like texture and let a little light through. They come in a few different shades. They were about $30-35 each, which is not bad at all compared to some prices I saw in the window covering catalogs I used to get. Before we had those ugly stark white vinyl shades. Practical, but not pretty.

    ReplyDelete