Thursday, October 4, 2012

Experiment 2: Cooking With Pumpkins and Apples....

Please read:  This is my second experiment I've shared.  Its not what I typically use this blog for as I don't want people to think this is a brag blog.  Let me just say this..... Most days I do NOT have it together in terms of housekeeping, parenting, cooking, etc.  Here is the scene at my feet in the kitchen most afternoons-


But as with any job I continue to try and get better at it.  My goal is to save money when I can and these experiments are tailored around that goal.  I enjoy learning from other people so I want to share what I have learned too.
My first experiment was making homemade yogurt in a crock pot which turned out to be a big success, cost efficient and pretty easy.  I am still making yogurt almost every other week.... and believe me, if it wasn't worth it I wouldn't mess with it.

Adding to my experiments (hear me out on this one why its discussion worthy).....  cooking your own PUMPKIN, is it worth it?  The analysis proved yes- if you are using it for meals.  It's easily roasted (don't mess with the peeling thing, instructions linked here), which keeps the sweetness and nutrition.  Which brings me to my first reason WHY, they are  crazy nutritious.   This a huge reason why they're worth it and why I think its worth talking about.  They deserve to make more appearances than just in desserts and hot drinks.  Second, you get a good amount of food from just one.  And don't forget the seeds which are surprisingly super nutritious too.  Jonathan looooves seeds roasted.


Use a good cooking pumpkin (like pie or sugar pie pumpkin) though instead of a jack-o-lantern pumpkins.  You can use any though depending on what it's going into.  Some meal ideas (imagine the list if dessert items were added)-

  • mashed pumpkin as a side dish with a little butter and cinnamon
  • pumpkin soup
  • pumpkin chili
  • pumpkin bread
  • pumpkin rice pudding
  • pumpkin risotto (might have to peal it instead on this one)
  • pumpkin pancakes
  • pumpkin muffins
  • hello!! amazing pumpkin baby food puree
Don't be a hater until you try one of these.... and why wouldn't you if you're ok with pureeing this lovely squash into a pie.
I would love for anyone to share other pumpkin meal ideas and recipes, please do.

Just to quickly note other squash that I have learned to love and stay in season into the winter- Butternut and Acorn (I know there are so many amazing squash hybrids but these two work well for us).  They are cheap and I've been making lots of meals from them lately..... I've also noticed I have lost weight and I believe these meals are the reason... seriously..... tasty meals with little to no fat and are filling.  Just last week I tossed acorn squash slices in a paprika spice blend and roasted them-
 Put them with couscous and Jonathan and I added a parsley yogurt sauce (sounds weird but we liked it when we tried it).  Acorn squash is great with curry spices too because it has a sweetness.  Butternut, if roasted, is tasty enough by itself.

No complaints even from the sometimes picky toddler-



Don't neglect those SQUASHES people!!! :)

Gotta end with apples (good way to get a picking picture in here).


Making your own apple sauce.... is it worth it?  I would say, it depends?  Let me be clear why.... First, homemade applesauce is WAAAAYYYY more delicious.  Honestly, after eating homemade you might not want to eat the watered down store bought stuff again.  Oh my stars is it tasty.  I would assume homemade is healthier too because its less processed keeping those lovely apple nutritious qualities.  The con, homemade is more expensive.... but not too expensive to keep from doing it.   Plus, I would suggest owning a corer and peeler (though I do not and still completed the full task in less than 2 hours, processing time included) and definitely a food mill.




Bottom line, I will continue to make applesauce every year because its a fun thing to do to celebrate apple season... but I will continue to buy store applesauce in the off season because its cheap.
I would give about the exact analysis for making your own crock pot apple butter.  It as well is amazingly tasty..... Smuckers ain't got nothin'.  So again, fun to do to celebrate the season, way tasty but not cost effective.

If anyone found this interesting I am glad.  If not, sorry.  At least I have fun doing the experiments and eating the food.  :)  Feel free to share your apple and squash and/or other seasonal worth it and not worth its please!!!  Thanks!

Oh, and don't worry I will have dining room progress to share eventually.



1 comment:

  1. By her own admission, my mom was a terrible cook and hated it. But every Fall, she'd do this and it was great. Take a small sugar pumpkin, hollow it. Make a goulash of burger, cubed potatoes, squash, carrots, whatever you want. Season. Put the mixture in the pumpkin and bake until a knife slides into the top edge of the pumpkin (put pumpkin in a foil lined pie plate as it might leak).

    Bring to the table and scoop out to eat, getting some pumpkin at the same time.....

    ReplyDelete